After I got my logo done, I thought it would be fun to get some personalized ukulele accessories with the logo on it. I learned how to sew while attending fashion high school (you might have read that here), therefore, working with fabric comes quite naturally for me. So one of the first things I got my logo on was 3 yards of fabric.
It arrived a couple of months ago and the plan was to make some ukulele straps out of it. So I got all the other material needed for that – a.k.a some fake leather and those plastic buckles. Somehow I just never found the time to actually make something out of all that material.
Last week I was sick and wasn’t allowed to talk. I felt like crap but there’s only so much Netflix you can watch. So on Day 6 of being sick I decided it’s time to do something. So I got out all my sewing supplies, my brand new sewing machine (only used once before) and all of the stuff I needed to make the ukulele straps.
I’m not gonna write a tutorial for it, cause there’s tons you can find on the Internet (Google for guitar strap 😉 ), but what you basically need is:
- some leather of fake leather
- plastic or metal buckles (I bought them in bulk from aliexpress)
- (iron on nonwoven fabric)
And here’s what you do:
- Cut a straight piece of fabric, twice the width of what will fit your buckles, plus some seam allowance
- If your fabric is very thin or stretchy (like mine) use some nonwoven fabric that you can iron on, to stiffen your material.
- Iron over the seam allowance on both sides – use ruler to make it very accurate.
- Iron the pice of fabric in half.
- Now you can stitch your strap on both sides – et voila, you already have something that looks like a strap.
- Getting the buckles on is mainly lots of thinking – so it’s easiest to just check out a strap you already have to get it right.
- Stitch the fabric around the buckles.
- Now cut out leather pieces that will be attached to the buckles as well.
- Put holes in the leather pieces and you’re done 🙂
Again, please check out a real tutorial, there’s tons to find online 😉
Here are some pictures from my first ukulele straps:
Since I was already sitting at my sewing maching and the straps were done quite quickly, I thought I could make a gymsack as well. So I got out the one I already own and tried to figure out how it’s made. Again, it’s very simple square/rectangular shapes, which are just sewn together. Again, there’s tons of tutorials online on how to make one.
Mine turned out pretty big, because I wanted to have one that will fit bigger ukulele books and at least a soprano ukulele in it. I also added some pockets in the lining. I think it turned out quite nice and I can’t wait to use it for the next ukulele meet-up or festival 🙂
Ps: I might do a giveaway with the strap (and maybe a gymsack) soon – so stay tuned 🙂